With the build-up of the UAE nuclear power programme, this cooperation has expanded into areas such as sustainable energy, especially in planning for and applying of nuclear science and technology for peaceful nuclear energy, and for the transfer of relevant technology and knowledge in a sustainable manner.
Since the UAE joined the IAEA, about 30 national TC projects have been implemented, with some still on-going in the current TC cycle.
In 2013, the UAE initiated new projects focusing on nuclear power infrastructure, environmental monitoring, nuclear and radioactive waste, radiation technology, nuclear knowledge development and management for the TC cycle 2014-2015.
Currently, the UAE carries out 7 national TC projects to meet its national needs in the areas of human heath, radiation technology, sustainable energy, as well as water and environmental management.
On-going national TC projects between the UAE and IAEA for the 2014-2015 cycle:
• UAE/2/003: Supporting the Development of National Nuclear Power Infrastructure for Electricity Generation - Phase II;
• UAE/7/003: Enhancing the Environmental Monitoring;
• UAE/7/004: Enhancing Environmental Monitoring Capabilities;
• UAE/9/010: Establishing the National Radioactive Waste Management Infrastructure;
• UAE/6/005: Establishment of Secondary Standards Dosimetry Laboratory (SSDL) - Phase II;
• UAE/9/011: Strengthening the National Programme on Patient Radiation Safety and Dosimetry;
• UAE/1/001: Enhancing Analytical Capabilities for Environmental and Archaeological Applications - Phase II;
Overseen by relevant national stakeholders and the IAEA TC Department, cooperation has expanded in new areas. Five new TC projects have been approved for the 2016-2017 cycle.
New national TC projects between the UAE and IAEA for the 2016-2017 cycle:
• Supporting the Development of National Nuclear Power Infrastructure for Electricity Generation-Phase III;
• Enhancing National Nuclear Emergency Preparedness and Response;
• Strengthening Infrastructure for Radiation, Transport and Waste Safety;
• Enhancing Quality Assurance for use of Radiation in Healthcare;
• Supporting a national programme of Action for Cancer Treatment in the UAE.
National Liaison Office for Technical Cooperation
In 2010, the Permanent Mission to the IAEA was appointed as the National Liaison Office (NLO) for Technical Cooperation between the Agency and the UAE. Since the establishment of the Mission, about 15 national TC projects have been successfully implemented and three projects are still on-going within the current TC cycle.
Through the IAEA’s TC Programme, national entities and organisations from various sectors receive comprehensive knowledge and expertise in nuclear science and technology. A wide range of activities such as training courses and workshops, conferences, scientific visits and fellowships, expert missions and reviews have all strategically address as the topics of human health and nuclear medicine, water and the environment, nuclear power infrastructure, radiation protection, nuclear safety and security, nuclear and radioactive waste management, nuclear knowledge development and management as well as radiation technology.